Sunday, February 8, 2009

On the 7th day

7 days since I what can I tell you? First, it wasn't as hard as I expect. Mentally that is. I never really craved anything. In fact, I noticed by the 3rd or 4th day that I had not craved rich, decadent sweets the way I usually do. (I won't even talk about treats that taunted me earlier today at the coffee shop) Out of sight, out of mind is helpful, but seeing thing...oh man, I even had to lay off some of my usual food blogs and communities cause everyone was posting desserts for Valentines day and all kinds of stuff I can't enjoy right now.

So, what are the things I've noticed most? My morning appetite...I'm still shocked. When my feet hit the floor in the morning, I am ready to eat. Before this week, I have spent most of my life unable to even THINK about food for at least an hour or two. Some mornings, I can barely brush my teeth. It's an odd feeling to try and's like my gag reflex is set on high and even trying to drink water first thing in the morning is hard. Not anymore. This week I alternated between my favorite Kashi cereals, fruit smoothies with silken tofu and eggs and toast. I usually have some fruit if I'm not having a smoothie. I do better with lots of protein early on.

Now something happened yesterday and I'm still not sure if it was a fluke or an actual reaction. I'm going to go another week and do another test next weekend to see if I get the same results. Went to grab a bite of lunch with some friends yesterday...wasn't planned so I wasn't prepared for dealing with dining out. They picked a pizza place close by, but I knew it had other things. To be honest, I was not in the mood for salad...I've eaten a lot of it this week and their prices were a bit high. I decided to risk it and have a sub w/out the cheese...I figured the dairy (if any) in the bread would be minimal...but I knew the chances of cross contamination in a pizza place would be high. I had been feeling fine all day, woke up early and had lots of energy. Came home after we ate and took a nap for about an hour or so. When I woke up, I was itchy, sneezy, had a runny nose and felt like I had a cold. It was so strange. I took my allergy meds, but continued to itch, sneeze and drip. I felt weak and wasn't quite flu-like, but a milder version. Took it easy the rest of the evening, felt SUPER sleepy very early despite my nap and went to bed. I feel asleep feeling almost as if I was about to run a fever, but never did. Woke up the morning and have felt fine all day.

Fluke? No clue. Like I said, I'm going to experiment next week. It was the body itch that really made me wonder though...could 6 days of detox cause such a reaction? I'm not sure, but I'm going to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment